Photolux Award 2019
On the occasion of the 2019 edition of the Photolux Festival. International Biennal of Photography, Photolux promote the 3rd edition of the Photolux Award, an international award dedicated to emergent photography.
Directors and curators of some of the most relevant international institutions and magazines dedicated to photography are invited to present three photographers with a project related to the theme to which the next edition of the festival is dedicated.
The award is aimed to recognize the best emergent photographers, giving them a broad visibility and chance for exhibit their works. The winning project will be produced by Photolux and shown in one of the official venues of the Festival.
2019 THEME: NEW WORLDS
“I think we’re going to the moon because it’s in the nature of the human being to face challenges. It’s by the nature of his deep inner soul… we’re required to do these things just as salmon swim upstream.”
(Neil Armstrong, press conference of the Apollo 11’s mission, 1969)
On July 21st, 1969 at 2:56 am, Neil Armstrong’s first step onto the lunar surface was broadcast on live TV to a worldwide audience, some hours after he and lunar modul pilot Buzz Aldrin landed the Apollo 11 on the Moon.
Armstrong described the event as a “small step for [a] man, but [a] giant leap for mankind”. The human history has been made by challenges, both individual and collective actions that has changed its flow: small and big revolutions that tore down walls while building new worlds.
TECHNICAL DATA AND REQUIREMENTS
Every director/curator can nominate up to three emergent photographers with only one project each. The following documentation must be sent via wetransfer to the email address email@example.com :
- A selection of images (min 15, max 30) for each project, images should be .jpegs that are a minimum of 1500 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Each image submitted must have a corresponding high resolution file available (300 dpi, 18×24 cm) which will be requested if your work is selected for the call.
- Title and presentation of the project (by the curator) of each project (max. 2000 characters)
- Biography and curriculum vitae of the artist (max. 1000 characters)
- Personal data and contacts of the artist: name, surname, address, phone number, e-mail address
- authorization to Photolux Festival to use the pictures submitted, electronically, and in print in the context of this competition, to document and promote this and future Festivals and competitionsDEADLINE
The project must be submitted following the guidelines above before and not later than September 15th, 2019 to the following address.
AWARD COMMITTEE AND NOMINATION
The 2019 award committee is composed by:
Tobia Bezzola, director Museo d’arte della Svizzera italiana, Lugano (President)
Nanda van den Berg, director Huis Marseille, Amsterdam
Matteo Balduzzi, curator MUFOCO. Museo Fotografia Contemporanea, Cinisello Balsamo (Milan)
The award committee will meet during the month of September, 2019.
The winner of the award will be announced within the end of September, 2019
THE AWARD COMMITTEE RESERVED THE RIGHT TO NOT AWARD THE PRIZE in case that there are no submission deemed apt for an exhibition.
The winning project will be produced and shown by Photolux Festival and included in the catalogue and all the communication material of the Festival.